Monday, May 27, 2013

Haus- Causal German Dining at its Beery Finest

Haus pretty much had me at beer. I love craft beer. Haus has a fantastic German and Belgian beer selection. They also have sausage and homemade kraut.  I knew I was going to love Haus. I was not wrong.

When we got there, we were starving. We started with the appetizer plate. We were so hungry that we had pretty much devoured it before I remembered to take a picture. So you get a picture of a mostly eaten appetizer plate. We had a lovely pretzel dipped in beer cheese, homemade sauerkraut (which is incredible and makes me think about making my own), sausage (yummy!), fries (also dipped in the cheese), and deep fried mac n cheese (not our favorite).

Yep- pretty much gone

Now for the tough decision... beer. They have 20 glorious beer on tap (all craft beers). I was torn until our server told us they have beer flights. I love places with beer flights. I get to try new beers without committing to a full glass. Not that there are many craft beers I don't like but it has happened. We had to from between a German, Belgian, or craft beer flight. I chose the Belgian (which should be no surprise) and Steven chose the German beer flight.
My beer flight
I kind of cheated on this beer flight because I had had all of them except for Houblon Choufee. So I knew I loved these beers. I had no idea the surprise I was in for--- my favorite out of the group was Houblon Choufee. It was in a word spectacular. It paired perfectly with my sausage. Houblon Choufee is a Beligian IPA. I was surprised that I liked it so much because I tend to lean towards stouts. I don't like "uberhoppy" beers, but I do like beers that have some hoppiness without being over the top. Belgian IPAs fit that description. The best description I can come up with is they are a cross between an IPA and a tripel. I know it sounds strange but good. Trust me. They are deceptively smooth and that smoothness hides a really high alcohol content (the Houblon Choufee is 9%).  So it was a good thing that it was in a small glass.


Pork glorious pork

Let me tell you about the sausage. It is delicious. It is from the Local Pig which has incredible sausage and other meats as well (check them out). The meats are locally sourced. Haus had a wide selection of sausages from which to choose. I went with the classic bratwurst with sauerkraut and caramelized onions. I then dipped my sandwich in different mustards. Ahhh..... pork heaven.

At this point I am pretty much full. Katie however has her eyes on dessert. They only have one dessert choice but they only need one...... wait for it......It was a fried Belgian waffle sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauce, and served with chocolate and vanilla ice cream. It was gone in less than three minutes.


Haus style Belgian waffles
My only regret- I did not get the Razberry Cho-co-lat Mash-up which is a combination of Dopplebock & Framboise. It sounds amazing. I am ready to go back and get one now.

Katie's View

Haus was really good! I loved the bratwurst and the fries dipped in cheese!!! I have to say my favorite thing was the Belgian Waffles. They were covered in caramel and chocolate and deep fried with ice cream. I loved it!!! When we go back there I will get the bratwurst and the waffle.


Haus on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment